雅虎别再犹豫，把RIM收了吧！上网时间： 2012年02月03日? 作者：Bolaji Ojo? 我来评论 【字号: 大 ?中 ?小】
Yahoo's Next Best Move? Buy/Merge With RIM
by Bolaji Ojo
EBN blogger Anna Young says Yahoo Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) needs a new bolder and riskier growth plan. Here's one: It should buy troubled BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; Toronto: RIM). Both companies need each other direly, and their options dwindle as they dawdle, even as competitors chew up their respective market shares in search engine and mobile devices. (See: Yahoo, Yang-less, Needs Riskier, Bolder Plan.)
The two companies are plagued by a similar malaise -- the inability to transform beyond original services and products. RIM was once King of the Hill in smartphones and mobile enterprise messaging. Its BlackBerry smartphones were the darling of business people, but the waists that once were adorned with RIM phones are now sporting Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) and Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) Android devices.
Anecdotal evidence is piling up that RIM's share of the enterprise messaging market will keep declining, unless it comes up with a new plan. Recently, I misplaced my company-issued BlackBerry device and was offered an iPhone 3 as a possible replacement. I stuck with the BlackBerry, but until then, I didn't even know my company supported the iPhone for enterprise messaging. It does, now. And, it's not alone. More companies, pressured by employees tired of the BlackBerry's limited options, are supporting and offering competitive products. Personally, I am discovering newer and newer uses for my Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (Korea: SEC) Galaxy S2, which I am quite satisfied with. Apparently, I am not alone. Even Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak believes Android devices trump Apple iOS in some areas.
Yahoo's position isn't any better, and it is in fact getting worse. The company is losing market share fast to Google and Facebook . Its advertising revenue base is being eroded by social media companies like Facebook, and the decline is likely to keep accelerating. The company's sales have been sliding with year-over-year quarterly revenue dropping in the three months ended September 30, 2011 to $1.2 billion from $1.6 billion, in the year-ago quarter. Sales for 2011 are estimated to be in the range of $4.4 billion, down sharply from $4.6 billion in 2010. Forecasters expect Yahoo's 2012 revenue to rise only slightly from the prior year to $4.56 billion.
Neither company is a great acquisition target. Yahoo has no offers on the table, and it appears Microsoft is only interested in buying bits and pieces of the company. This is not in Yahoo's interest. If Yahoo sells its 40 percent stake in China's Alibaba and 35 percent interest in Yahoo Japan, its market value is likely to decline even further, and so will its ability to compete globally. No other potential offers are likely for Yahoo, which, with a market capitalization of nearly $20 billion, is too large to be gobbled up by anything but the biggest tech companies in the market. None of them appear interested.
RIM is not fielding any plausible acquisition offers, either. The company's stock price soared earlier this week on speculations Samsung Electronics might be interested in making an offer, a rumor that the Korean company torpedoed on Wednesday. RIM's shares are already giving up the gains; on Wednesday, they dove more than 3 percent after the Samsung report.
Analysts are not particularly gung ho about a deal for RIM. Shaw Wu of Sterne Agee was concerned that RIM's current market value (about $9 billion) poses a challenge to potential bidders, since the upside might be "limited." In a report emailed to me on Wednesday, Shaw poured cold water on the likelihood of Samsung or Microsoft making a bid for RIM. He said:
We see $5-$7 billion potential value, meaning $9-$13 per share. We believe its most valuable assets are arguably its patent portfolio and BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) app. We estimate its patent portfolio could be worth $2-$3 billion assuming the prices that an AAPL led team paid (which RIMM was part of) for Nortel assets and GOOG for MMI. For BBM with its 45 million users, we estimate it could be worth $2-$3 billion.
Last but not least, we believe the value of its push network and BlackBerry OS are more questionable given competitive issues both have had in the marketplace but nonetheless, we assign a value of $1 billion (the price paid for PALM). This gives us a valuation of $5-$7 billion, meaning a stock price of $9-$13, which is a bit below where it is currently trading.
Other considerations. The other considerations to keep in mind are: (1) Samsung is doing very well with Android -- in fact, they are taking share against fellow Android licensees HTC and Motorola; (2) MSFT has effectively made its bet on its Windows Phone 7 operating system -- it makes little sense to bet on another OS that is having difficulty; and (3) the Canadian government may not allow an acquisition by a foreign company due to national security interests.
Ouch. The game is not lost, though. RIM is still a profitable company with no long-term debts. So is Yahoo. RIM has a healthy balance sheet (about $1.5 billion in cash, short- and long-term investments) and so does Yahoo (no debts and $7 billion in cash, short and long-term investments). RIM's annual sales of $19.9 billion (fiscal 2011) dwarfs Yahoo's ($6.3 billion in calendar 2011), but the search engine provider has a much bigger market capitalization ($20 billion versus RIM's $9 billion), which means investors aren't that impressed with RIM's higher sales.
So, this is what I suggest. A merger of the two companies -- some market watchers don't believe in a merger of equals, and I tend to agree. Yahoo will therefore dominate such a venture. What are the advantages of such a hook up to both companies? First, a much needed new lease on life; second, the opportunity to enter new markets and solidify positions in existing operations; third, a chance to leverage about $8.5 billion in combined cash and significant borrowing strength to push for a bigger role in adjacent markets; and, lastly, the chance to fight for a future in the mutually supportive Internet and wireless markets.
But will RIM and Yahoo take such a step? I doubt it. They've both been too timid for far too long, and RIM's current co-CEO and co-chairman structure is in itself obstructionist. What's clear is that the status quo isn't in either company's interest.
RIM(Research In Motion)是加拿大的一家通信公司，成立于1984年，为通用汽车做联网的红外LED显示板。
- 热门：拆解iPad Pro和Surface Pro 4
- 市场：体验HTC Vive虚拟游戏，撩妹解乏再不用愁
- 分析：iPhone SE发布，华为、小米、OPPO们背后冷飕飕的
- 博客：从难民到Intel 船长，“偏执狂”格鲁夫的传奇
- 大飞哥说： 各种说法和意见都有,大家唯有静待后续发展,苹果能做这么大,背后也少不了律师团队,各种情况都会应对的了,很…----评《如何看待“iPhone6被判抄袭国产手机，在北京面临禁售”？》
- 风中小鸟说： 现在贸易商越来越来难，其实主要来说无非就两个方面：1、终端客户对你产品品质的质疑，甚至于只相信代理商（当然某些代理商我表示不敢苟同）…----评《电子元件贸易商，未来如何走？？》
- 崔工说： 当前最大的谬误就是将设备联网说成是物联网。特别是把穿戴设备也说成是物联网的核心应用，因此也就把苹果手机的衰落看成是物联网的…----评《巴伦周刊：“物联网”正走向死胡同，你怎么看？》
- 甘贝特说： 之前的公司明确向所有供应商说明，过年过节不可以给这边的员工送礼，不可以请吃，否则员工开除。所以，收不收礼就变得异常简单了。所以说，如…----评《送礼那些事儿：羊毛出在羊身上啦！》
- 天好天说： 社会整体的发展，技术的发展引起不同的分工，对于我们而言不过是社会这个大环境的特有国情与日本有所不同。不过我到是比…----评《中国程序员薪资逆天，而日本搞IT的和卡车司机差不多？》
- 大飞哥说： 个人感觉分深入分析必需有更细的数据来判断,比如乐视电视,手机等主要产品准确主的出货量,乐视汽车什么时候会量产,量产能否达到回收投入成本的…----评《乐视控股是不是一个庞氏骗局？》
- iHoldOn艾豪达说： 安卓网络机顶盒，已经几年了，电子产品更新换代太快，小微企业一不留神就跟不上行业的发展！…----评《爆料：东莞某企恶意拖欠货款，疑因机顶盒业务惨淡》
- 流年似甲说： 美国的工业再造并不是代工生产这个环节。而是以低碳科技为代表的信息、生物、分子、航天、互联网、机器人等高科技产业，以及抛…----评《谁当总统都没用！iPhone不可能迁回美国造》
- Louder说： 都别说风凉话了，这种情况下的员工，其实是弱势群体，选择罢 工还是需要很大的勇气，公司能妥善解决，谁愿意闹事？！…----评《爆苏州仙童（快捷半导体）全体员工罢 工维 权》
- 梁少峰说： 全球范围内而言，电子产业尤其是半导体产业，本身已经进入了发展成熟阶段。之前高速发展时期的资本密集投入与人才密集投入，已…----评《听了这几个IC创业故事，你还想得起诗和远方吗？》
- hiwinjacky说： 深圳要有点自信，华为越做越大，密集的深圳容纳不下，溢出到周边是很正常的，以深圳的电子配套环境，任何电子厂商都不能完…----评《细思恐极：华为人会因任正非变穷吗？》
- Rain--SuperIc说： 大家都来玩的时候，说明这个就会成为趋势，完全的取代是不可能，最起码5年内不会，大客户的价格有多低谁也不知道。IC电商对…----评《大家如可看待IC电商平台？》
- 大飞哥说： 连这些老牌公司都撤了,LED照明已过度竟争了……----评《深圳飞利浦灯饰制造公司正式停止运营》
- kentyuan说： 价格是中小代理商的命门，有真正商业价值的服务仍在探索中。趋势如此，开放灵活，剩者为王。…----评《未来的元器件分销，我有一个执念！》
- hiwinjacky说： 愚以为华为搬去东莞和比亚迪搬到惠州，正是深莞惠一体化的的第一步棋。行政的意愿由企业来具体完成。…----评《华为要的深圳给不起》
- 圈熙说： 电子元器件平台的电商化是一种趋势，电商会让整个行业的物料成本透明化，信息和数据公开化，他们增值和创造利润的点不在是传统企业差价赚取方式，而且…----评《大家如可看待IC电商平台？》
- 语音技术大师说： 从成品的出货、网购上能搜到哪些来看，确实很难得到内里原因的分析！我给您补充一点：那就是穿戴式和今年新热VR一样，…----评《智能手环将死？山寨横行的国内市场又将何去何从？》
- 赵哥说： 房地产代表出来说道了，要求其公允，无异于缘木求鱼。现在应该科技、工业制造等站出来，表达自己的述诉求。ZF再根据总体情况，制定该抑制哪…----评《细思恐极：华为人会因任正非变穷吗？》
- Hans T.说： 建议国家打击这种(硬件免费+内容和服务收费)持续打压、扼杀硬件创新动力的行为，允许某时段使用该手段进行品牌宣传，但持续…----评《小米时代结束了，三大失误让华为有机可乘》
- 宏发继电器深圳销售中心说： 跟原供应商协商一下，看看少折点价换货行不行。如果常用货稍好点，换位思考一下，你们的客户购买产品…----评《要哭了，老板让我把快一年的那批芯片退掉！！要怎么办啊？》
- 深圳喆华电子科技说： 不管是不是电商平台，最终落脚点还是在IC产品性能和稳定性上，电商平台给IC供应商多了一个渠道，但与此同时如果这个渠道本身的推广费…----评《大家如可看待IC电商平台？》
- 3kabc说： 拒付钱。建立防错机制。先小量到货后批量到货。考察供应商诚心，能力。…----评《关于目前代购电商遇到的问题》
- 语音技术大师说： 日企软件算法强么？机械强么？我该说都有一定基础但也都还不算世界第一，特别是软件几乎算是弱者！但是从后端的整体…----评《谷歌都烧钱不起的波士顿动力机器人，丰田为何要接手？》
- 长电科技嫡系代理元宝电子12年说： 花了几个小时边学习边记录！总的感觉是：1，人只有一无所有时，才最有激情与潜能爆发的时候； 2，人的社会阅…----评《技术男转行自己做外贸：三年跑出4千万》